Friday, May 2, 2008

Welcome to my Blog!

It's taken me a few years to get here,but with the constant prodding and encouragement from family and friends I have just taken the first step towards blogging.

Firstly it wasn't easy to settle for a name, I had wanted something else completely diffferent but they have ALL been taken up - yes, it is true that there are literally millions of bloggers out there and they have used up all the usable good names and words for their blogs.

Imagine my naivete when I had wanted names like "Man on the Moon" (to reflect an "observer's view from afar") when my by-line could have read "We managed to put a man on the moon, but yet we cannot communicate with our neighbour next door!" (Searches on Google for moonwalks and Michael Jackson would have directed traffic to me!)

Or the other favourite of mine "Serendipity" whose dictionary meaning is "the ability to make desirable but accidental discoveries". (Searches for Sri Lanka and Arthur C.Clarke would have taken them to me as well.)

And so on and so forth.

Then I was flicking through the dictionary and my eyes landed on the most obscure page on double-o's (oo...) and this heretofore unknown word "oogamy" jumped out at me! I've never seen it before, never heard about it before and certainly no one I know has EVER used the word, not even my doctor! Nor has it ever been written about,spoken about or been mentioned on Discovery Channel or National Geographic. Hmmph....strange word. Nice dic. (I rechecked and Oxford doesn't even list it as a word!)

BTW it was an Australian dictionary.

Sounds good enough, and Google Blogger says it's available! Thirteenth time lucky after a dozen or so "this name is not available" searches and tries. So here I am.... the blogger who owns the word for "OOGAMY" (at least on Google!) which I think is a nice word, creative (cheeky!) enough, and certainly memorable for most of us.

Besides which most of what I'll be writing about in the days,weeks and months ahead (hopefully) will be on matters affecting the very nature of our creation; life as we know it; opinions and comments, words of praises and criticisms, a bit of sharing, lots of reviews and in general, saying my piece.

And of course, hopefully YOUR feedbacks. Nothing can beat this. I hope you'd take part and let me know when you agree,disagree or have a different point of view.

After all, that's what blogging's all about....isn't it?

Take care.

P.S. I cannot promise to post/blog on a very regular (like daily or hourly) basis, but whenever I feel like it, have something on my mind, an idea to throw around, or just as a sounding board...there I'll be.

2 comments:

RetroFool said...

Oogamy... nice.

Ellen Whyte said...

Welcome to the blog-sphere! Looking forward to pics of Sarawak - and some much needed industry gossip: Who's writing what script? What movies are coming here? And where is the best pub this week in Kuching?

I'm adding you to my blog roll link list.